As I start plotting my personal New Year Resolutions for 2012, I thought it might be helpful to offer my two cents for Social Media Resolutions and general Dos & Don’ts…
…here it goes:
1. Don’t Spam - stop over posting and over tweeting (yes, there is such a thing as too much sharing). Reason - It annoys people and they will stop listening to you.
2. Do Learn How to Use Important Social Media Sites - learn how to use Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Foursquare, Google+. Reason - There is a reason for the prominence of these sites, and it is important you at least have a basic understanding.
3. Don’t Tag Pictures - do not tag your friends in photos that they may not like. if you have pictures of friends, tag the best one, and let them tag themselves in the rest. Reason - There is nothing worse than when people tag you in hideous photos, and you have to scramble to get online and untag yourself.
4. Do Merge Your Social Media - instead of having to post to each of your different social media sites, learn how to converge them in an appropriate way. Reason - This will be a huge time saver, so you only have to post once for your information to hit all sites.
5. Don’t Hide - just because you make a mistake and post something that you later regret, this is not a reason to shut your twitter off all together (Alec Baldwin). Reason - take ownership of the good and the bad. People respect when you can admit a mistake and keep moving, nobody respects a person who cowers away in shame.
6. Do Create Yourself As a Brand - learning how to manage your personal online brand is one of the most important things you can do these days. Start a blog, get a twitter handle and write about your passion and your business. Reason - potential employers, bosses, clients, potential business partners are all doing their due diligence and learning about you through what they can find online. If you aren’t managing your message, you no longer own it.
7. Don’t Write & Post Nonsensical Extremist Things on Other People’s Walls - don’t be one of those people that spams other people walls with crazy nonsense. You can graffiti on your own wall but don’t do it to other people. Reason - this is the quickest way to get yourself defriended, and to be branded an annoying lunatic.
8. Do NOT Take Everything Posted so Seriously - this is a BIG one…when you read something or don’t read something on someone’s wall, do not automatically get offended. Not everything somebody posts or doesn’t post is about you, and many times what is being posted is a joke. Reason - its amazing how quickly molehills can turn into mountains, from a simple posting. When you read things online, take it with a grain of salt, life is too short to take things (esp what you read online) too seriously!!!
9. Don’t Stalk - stalking is creepy, stalking online is not as bad, but its still a waste of time and its rude. Reason - if you are spending this much time online following other people, it probably means your real life is lacking. Step away from Facebook, and go join a softball team (not kickball - kickball is just as creepy…lol).
10. Do Help Teach Proper Social Media Etiquette - did your parents just join Twitter or the social online world? If so, remind them that they cannot make up their own acronyms (MOM), let them know that it is not okay to post on your ex’s wall (DAD), and that having obsessed girls post about how much they LOVE you on your wall is just weird (you know who YOU are). Reason - Because, I said so …LOL
As for my Social Media resolutions…still working on a list for the New Year :)